OFFTOPIC:Great 4x4 Show on TLC-long

From: Mike Styer (dakotamike@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 03:40:32 EST

Sort of off topic, so delete now if you don't want to read about 4x4's in
general. I rant for a while too :) There I warned you...

I saw what was probably the best documentary of any type of vehicle on TLC
tonight. "Extreme Machines-Four Wheel Drive Vehicles". Everything from
suburbanite SUVs to Big Foot to the moon rover. My favorite segment was when
they went to Icelandic mountain rescue vehicles and the Iceland Antarctic
Expedition.

It's nice to see that people can enjoy four wheel drive for entertainment as
well as certain necessity throughout the rest of the world. With the gas prices
surging and SUV and trucks rising in popularity, I've read too many magazine and
news articles by snobby elitists complaining about any four wheel drive vehicle
that allows you to choose which wheels spin. If it's not an automated all wheel
system on a tiny, passenger car based, econobox, they say it's extravagant.

I agree that too many yuppies by SUVs and trucks when they have no intention of
driving them properly. Instead they operate their 5000 lbs Excursions and
Suburbans like they were the Mazda 626's they traded in. 95% of these people
won't take their trucks on anything rougher than the gravel in their driveway.
But at the same time, one of the great things about this country is that we have
the money and resources to actually use and abuse a four wheel dirve vehicle.

Most people are suprised by how many times and in how many manners I've gotten
my Club Cab two wheel drive with high gears and no anti-spin, stuck in some sort
of terrain or another. And all but a handful occurred in my normal everyday
situations. I certainly would have liked 4 wheel drive then. And to be honest
if I would use it every opportunity I came across. When I imagine myself
getting a 4x4, I'm pulling stranded motorists out of wet ditches, or checking on
my neighbors who have been snowed in and trapped. I know I wouldn't be
invincible, but hey, that's why I'm with AAA :)

I guess my point is, there is a relatively small number of people who use 4
wheel drive with a purpose, and everyone of those people helps move automotive
technology further forward, which is definitely better and certainly more
enjoyable for all of us.

Sorry, it was a good show, I was inspired :) Now I need to sleep...

Mike S.
keeping a 2x4 to keep me in check (for now :)

Download Now http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
Request a CDROM 1-800-333-3633