Re: cold weather tranny woes....

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 23:15:09 EST

> well now that it has gotten cold here in michigan. of course my truck
> doesn't like it... the problem i have is that when i first start the
truck
> and go the tranny doesn't like to shift properly. it will usually go into
> 2nd and then keep revving and not going into 3rd. usually i have to let
off
> the gas to let it shift into 3rd. after a few blocks the transmission
gets
> a bit warmer and starts to shift better. after a few minutes it shifts
> totally fine. now my truck is a 94 V6 auto 2wd. it has just over 89000
> miles now. i haven't changed the tranny fluid since i bought it with
34000
> miles. so it was probably never changed. i know i should have done it
> sooner, but i was going to maybe try that first. take it in somewhere and
> get it flushed and stuff. my only worry is that i waited to long and that
> my trans will then be screwed up big time. then i'll be getting a rebuild
> for sure. i was planning that in the future anyways, but i would rather
> wait til the summer. so what do you all think?? it would be great if it
> just needs the tranny fluid changed... i've heard horror stories from
other
> people that changed there fluid with high mileage and screwed there trans
> up... so any advice will help...

Mike,
So you are saying your Dak with 89,000 miles on it still has the factory ATF
in it? If so, OUCH!
The recommended tranny service(drop pan, new fluid, new filter) interval is
every 25,000 to 30,000 miles, or every 2 years. A transmission guy, who is a
friend of the family, told me when I first bought my Dak said this regular
maintenance will significantly increase the life of the transmission. He
also installed a tranny cooler which was 'meant' for a 1ton truck, cause
heat is the #1 killer of auto's. I have my tranny serviced every year,
reguardless of the mileage; I mean for $40-$50 is it well worth it compared
to a $1000-$1500 rebuild. I have heard though that if a transmission has a
lot of miles on it and the fluid has never been changed, they also say it
may be best to leave the fluid alone; because changing the fluid may loosen
accumulated varnish deposits that could cause sticking of control valves in
the valvebody. Maybe the 100% ATF replacement service would be in your best
interest, as well as getting the pan dropped, cleaned out, and having a new
filter put on. Might be worth a shot before going into a tranny shop. My
truck has 132,000 miles on it with no tranny problems so far. It was 20-25
degrees today in Indiana and my Dak ran and shifted just fine. Good Luck
man!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6