Timing Chain Attn: Bernd (kinda long)

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 15:36:09 EST

Ok Bernd, got a question. Not sure if this problem is going to do serious
damage to the truck or not so thought I better figure out what it is. Here
are the symptoms:
1. Metallic rattle increasing to almost a buzz as rpm's rise.
2. Only occurs when truck is cold - disappears a few miles down the road or
when truck reaches normal operating temp.
3. Only occurs when truck is cold due to it being cold outside (winter).
When it's just started in the summer, it will not do it the majority of the
time.
4. It is a loud noise - SEEMS to come from the engine area, but I'm not
sure.
5. Only occurs in 1st and second gear - very rarely heard in 3rd.
6. Noise mostly cuts in and out rapidly although sometimes it is continuous.
7. Noise usually starts at about 1600 rpm and goes to 2000-2100 (or shift
point) and again, buzzes more rapidly as rpms climb in gears mentioned
above.
8. Noise stops completly when gears shift but picks back up at close to rpms
shown above.
9. Noise is greatly increased when starting off on a hill when truck is
cold.
Now, hopefully I've given enough description that might trigger something in
your mind that could be the cause. Also note that the timing chain was
replaced about 30,000 miles ago with whatever it is NAPA sells. I was told
by the same people that installed it, that my current noise is due to the
timing chain failing again. Could this be possible? I had it changed
before due to a rattle at warm idle. That noise is not really there now.
Also, it seems to me that the timing chain would rattle when the truck is
warm, not cold. I would think that the heat of the engine would "thin" the
oil down more than a cold "thick" oil and the heat would tend to add a
little more slack to the timing chain.
Anyway, let me know your thoughts and what I might check.
Thanks!
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6 Auto
www.geocities.com/adakota4x4_95