Re: My final post on pinging NEED INPUT

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 20:26:06 EST

Wes Weems wrote:

Ok, I think I have basically done everythign I know to take care of, if you
can think of anything besides the following PLEASE let me know! I am
<snip>
Things I've done to attempt to fix the pinging:
new bellypan gasket (no more leaking from that sucker)
Are you sure its not still leaking?  I replaced mine w/a MPI and was scratching my head when I still had an oily/wet intake floor.  Turns out it was my not using baffles on my mp valve covers. With 18-19in of vacuum - the tb was sucking in oil & oil vapors from the head diluting the intake charge enough to make it ping like a diesel.  Remember, oil & oil vapors can come from several places - follow the trail.

new cap and rotor (lots more power, but still pings like a mf)
decided not to do the 180 degree stat, as it pings when its cold too
running ANY kind of fuel gives me the same results
sounds like intake charge dilution to me - unfortunately I've found that just looking at the plugs is not a good test by itself as mine never showed this and I've changed them at least 5 times in 108k miles.

cleaned throttle body inside and our, run some octane boosters, as well as
fuel system cleaners.
new plug wires as well as a reroute..

If anyone can think of *ANYTHING* that could help, it would be greatly
apprecaited,

Don't give up man whatever you do...  and don't give in to the flash!

Latr,

Shane