Re: RE: Soldering Question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 23:36:32 EST

> You'd need one hell of a big electric gun to solder 4-6 GA wire. Maybe a
> modified welder or plasma cuter??
> You'll need three hands for this but it'll work.
> Use a propane torch as your heat source instead of an electric gun.
>Put the lug in vise with the open end pointing straight up.
> Strip the wire back and put it into the lug.
> With one hand heat the lug, keep it low so it doesn't burn the cable
jacket.
> With the other hand hold up the cable straight up, preferably with a glove
> or something.
> With the third hand feed "lots" of solder into the lug as it heats, until
> the solder starts to overflow.
>
> You'll have to hold the cable in position, as you want it, for at least a
> minute or so until the assembly cools enough to set. It doesn't set in
> seconds like 18 or 20 GA wire.

Rick,
Thanks for the input. So when I do solder the ring style terminals to the
thick gauge wires, it will be just fine, right? I want to make sure I will
be able to do this and create a good solid solder jount. I am just trying to
make sure I will be able to cut the old battery terminals off and solder new
ring lug style terminals, without being unable to start my truck up after I
find out I cannot solder the ring terminals onto the thick wire! Thanks a
ton.
Kyle