RE: My dakota POS! - Long

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 10:46:04 EST

> Ok, now that I got your attention, let me vent my
> frustrations on you guys. 1st, I have a 97CC SLT 5.2L. Have had it JUST
over a year
> (bought it last Thanksgiving with 54k miles). If you remember, last week
> was having heat problems. Replaced Radiator cap and tstat, and had what
was
> apparently orange coolant. Well, truck ran fine for about..ohhhh. 2
> days... So here I am, truck had been running around 170 water temp the
last 2
> days.. now, I see my temp rising, not even a mile from home where I had
just left...
> I'm watching it.. gets to about 200.....210....220 all in about 20
> seconds.. I'm thinking wtf?!?!?! I'm at a stoplight, and I
> see, yes, smoke coming from my hood.. So I quickly pull over, and take
> a look over (and its dark outside). Pop my hood, can't exactly see where
smoke is
> coming from, can just tell from the passenger side in the back of the
> engine.. get on my knees.. ahhh damnit, coolant leaking like
> a SOB! so I let it sit there for a min, and I'm pretty much in a rush to
> get somewhere.
> So hop back in my truck, and get it back home safe and sound,
> and glad it didn't overheat/sieze on me (coasted the last 1/2 mile in
neutral with
> engine off in my neighberhood). So, I get it towed to the
> dealer, and he calls me today. And here's the story. Coolant is rusted,
> caused waterpump to leak. but that's the least of my worries cause one of
my
> Freeze Plugs is rusted out so bad, it MUST be replaced. Waterpump is
covered
> by my great extended warrenty, that I have to pay $100 deductable. But
> Lo and behold, my freeze plug is NOT covered.. total cost you ask??
> $976.. but WAIT!! it gets better... my other freeze plugs are rusted
too!!! they
> could go any day or in 2 years, who knows. Replace them now or pay a
> bigger fee later on cause they WILL need to be replaced, so i'm told.
Well, how
> much can that be? Get out the checkbook, that just added $700 to the
> bill!! My total bill is coming out to about $1700. it's going to be
> waterpump, Freeze plugs, gasket package (they have to take off cylinder
head to
> replace freeze plugs???), flush coolant system to get rid of rusty
coolant,
> oil change, and they have to do a state inspection..
> FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
> still got another 4 years to pay on this thing!! ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Who's extended warranty do you have???? I have the DC's Added Care(7/75),
and the freeze out plugs (called Core Plugs) are a covered item as well as
any gasket used in the repair. NO you don't have to remove the heads to get
at the core plugs either. Look at your contract!!! Call 1-800-521-9922 and
pitch a bitch. That is provided you have the DC plan.

Greg
NE# 3779
2K1 Neon ES
Rahway NJ