Dyno results

From: Terry Herrin (therrin@isaac.net)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 00:53:02 EST

Mike Hoover, Gene Byrd and myself spent about five hours at Wayne's
Dyno and Performance in Jacksonville, NC today. Needless to say, it
was quite a learning experience. Between the three of us we came up
with quite a few results, some of them rather surprising.

First, as some of you may remember, I had installed a set of 24#
injectors a few months back. I experienced a hesitation problem under
moderate acceleration, but the truck seemed to pick up power. On the
dyno a couple of weeks ago with the 24's, I pulled 242hp at the
wheels, but the A/F was off the scale, somewhere below 10.0.

Last weekend I went back to the stock 19's, after having them
balanced. The hesitation problem disappeared, confirming the problem
was indeed the 24's. The truck seemed to be pulling as strong as
before, if not stronger. Today, on the dyno with the 19's, I pulled
250hp, with the A/F around 12.0. The A/F is now back at a more
reasonable level, and I picked up 8hp at the wheels.

But wait, there's more. I then removed the air hat and Quick D
intake. This is where things began to get interesting. With the
Quick D removed, I pulled 258hp, a gain of another 8hp. That's a
total of 16hp over a few weeks ago, but I didn't pull the Quick D
then. Now for the best part. We took the K&N Gen II off of Mike's
truck and put it on mine, and I *still* pulled 258hp! No loss of hp
with the Gen II, but a loss of 8hp with the Quick D. Interesting, no?

But that isn't the end of the story. We then put Gene's R/T on the
dyno. Unlike mine with many mods, Gene has MP headers and a MBRP cat
back and that's about it. With the stock intake he pulled 216hp on
the first run. He removed the airhat and pulled 223hp. Then we put
on my Quick D and he still pulled 223hp. I lost 8hp with the Quick D
over open tb, but Gene lost none, just as I lost none with the Gen II.

So, what does all this mean? Well, my take on it is the Quick D flows
enough for a 360 with minor mods like Gene's, but it doesn't flow
enough for a 360 with a lot of mods like mine. The Gen II, on the
other hand, does flow enough for a 360 with my mods. The Gen II flows
more than the Quick D, but the Quick D is fine for a 360 with minor
mods. If you have a Quick D intake and a 360 with a lot of mods like
mine, you may want to verify that you're not restricting your air
intake. I'm still debating a Shaker hood. If I stay with the stock
hood, I'll need to buy a Gen II to increase my intake air flow
capacity.

One final note. We proved the IAT sensor is read by the computer at
WOT. By changing resistors we were able to vary the A/F mixture using
a table Gene had brought with him. We also determined that moving the
IAT sensor from the manifold to the air intake richened the A/F
mixture by 0.3 to 0.4. With the M1 manifold I have no choice but run
the IAT in the air hat, but it would be nice to have it in the
manifold to lean things out a bit more. 12.0 isn't too bad, but it's
still a bit rich.

BTW, 258hp at the wheels translates into about 320hp at the crank when
you factor in powertrain loss with the auto. I'm satisfied......for
now. :-)

Terry Herrin
99 FR CC RT
14.425 @ 93.52, 258 rwhp
Wilmington, NC
Dakota R/T Club, Executive Board, SE Region
http://users.isaac.net/therrin/dakota.html