Need Input

From: Chris Lambert (mopar88@efortress.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 23:10:26 EST

My own thought... if it is not blowing smoke, and there is no blowby then
let it be... my friend had a chevy (i know it was a POS but hey...) with a
2.8 in it, it never dropped any oil but burned up a quart every 5-600
miles, excessive i know, but it never blew any smoke so we didn't worry
about it. With that mileage, maybe it is just me, but that sounds like an
average amount of oil consumption. So if you are LOOKING for a reason for
a 360, you found it. In which case think 380HP crate engine, but other
wise don't worry about it. As for the tranny if you changed the fluid
regular, have a tranny cooler, and don't beat on it too bad then i wouldn't
worry about that either. Again just another opinion... You have the
ultimate say but I think it is nothing more than something to monitor. As
for checking blowby I was told to 1) run the engine till it was nice and
warm 2) shut it off 3) pop the hood ant take the oil fill cap off the valve
cover 4) if there is a smoke in there you got blowby, if not while you are
in there shine in a light to see if you have a lot of deposits in the
engine. If so i am a firm believer in running a can of motor flush once a
year. The first time i ran this on my old premagger was at about 80K and i
was amazed at how much gunk came out of the engine, when i did the
headgaskets at 129k the engine was clean as a whistle inside. Hope all
this helps.

Chris

>I love the list and think it is a great way to exchange ideas. I Have a 93
>Dodge Daktoa. I ordered it the way I wanted it. It has the 318 with 3.90
>posi. 4-wheel anti lock brakes all the goodies. I love this truck it has
>NEVER left me on the side of the road always starts have not had any
>promblems at all with though out the 124,000 miles. I have noticed that it
>is starting to burn motor oil. About 2 to 3 qt. every 3k. Not a big
>promblem but one that will need to be addressed. Most likely the vavle
>seals have gone out. But as the old saying goes if you pull the heads you
>should rebuild the whole motor.I know when I bought the truck they were
>haveing a problem burning up transmissions. I have not had any promblems
>with mine. What I would like to know is :
>
>1)Does the 2nd gen really burn up transmissions and should I be worried
>about it
>2)has any one put a R/T motor in this type of truck Or does anyone know
>were a totaled one is?
>3)What should I look for to help me make up my mind on selling my truck
>and buying a new daktoa. Or should I just Rebuild the motor and hope for
>the best?
>
>Thanks For all the input,
>Matt Tharp
>henryrollins@springmail.com
>
>93 Dodge Dakota LE Club Cab 318 with 3.9 posi 124,000 and counting

'00 CC, Packin a 287 Magnum, 5-sp, Gibson Duals, Quick D Intake
http://www.intense99dak.com/chris.htm
In Action: http://www.dakota2.4mg.com/scca.htm