RE: timing chain

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 17:09:21 EST

With the removable radiator crossmember in our daks, it looks like
you can get excellent access to the front of the engine. In my
Haynes manual, it talks about re-aligning the cam and crank timing
marks when doing this. Is this really necessary? If the timing
hasn't jumped, can't you just remove the old stuff and install new
as long as you don't turn anything? Or is that even possible? And
can we get away without replacing the oil pan gasket?

You have to use the alignment marks!!! there are keyways on each sprocket
also. If you don't turn anything while the chain is off, it'll go right
back on AND the marks will be aligned. You do not have to replace the oil
pan gasket *IF* you removed the timing cover VERY carefully, and use plenty
of RTV during re-assembly

Those of you who have changed out your timing chain, any info is
appreciated. I'd imagine it's a pretty penny to have the dealer
do this, and if I can handle it I'd rather do it myself.

It's not real difficult if you know a wrench from a socket. If it's your
first time, allow a full day.

thanks
kevin d.