timing chain

From: Davidson, Kevin (ked@iti-oh.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 13:06:46 EST

Hey all, time for me to probe the knowledge base again. I've got
a 97 V6 with close to 70k miles. I am fairly certain that my
timing chain has started making some noise. Should I be concerned
about this? ie, should I expect it to fail anytime soon?

(if the answer is yes.....)

With the removable radiator crossmember in our daks, it looks like
you can get excellent access to the front of the engine. In my
Haynes manual, it talks about re-aligning the cam and crank timing
marks when doing this. Is this really necessary? If the timing
hasn't jumped, can't you just remove the old stuff and install new
as long as you don't turn anything? Or is that even possible? And
can we get away without replacing the oil pan gasket?

Those of you who have changed out your timing chain, any info is
appreciated. I'd imagine it's a pretty penny to have the dealer
do this, and if I can handle it I'd rather do it myself.

thanks
kevin d.