RE: safe use of partime 4wd

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 19:48:11 EST

I never use 4wd on pavement unless it's too slick for 2wd. I wouldn't use
4wd for any lenth of time over about 40mph or so.... but that's me driving
my truck, I don't know what the factory says to do.. Load up the rear with
some sand and drive sane, keep an eye on the idiots out there.

______________________
Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
   www.fast4x4.net
   jon@fast4x4.net
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

-
-
-We've a 99 4x4 w/ ATX and part-time 4wd (and, unfortunately, an open rear
-dif) . We're about to make the annual trek to Michigan; a drive which sees
-highway surface conditions ranging from dry to wet to light snow/mush to
-real snow cover. I'm wondering what is the dryest road surface on which I
-can remain in 4wd without any risk of damage to the drive train.
-Also, does
-vehicle speed have any impact on this question.
-
-Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all.
-
-Jef & Laura
-
-