safe use of partime 4wd

From: Jef Denning (jdenning@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 18:58:49 EST

We've a 99 4x4 w/ ATX and part-time 4wd (and, unfortunately, an open rear
dif) . We're about to make the annual trek to Michigan; a drive which sees
highway surface conditions ranging from dry to wet to light snow/mush to
real snow cover. I'm wondering what is the dryest road surface on which I
can remain in 4wd without any risk of damage to the drive train. Also, does
vehicle speed have any impact on this question.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all.

Jef & Laura