4x4/Transfer case - problems

From: Erika Ipes (msdakota99@mail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 19:20:32 EST

My truck is once again having its problems, which I just took to the
dealership so now I could use some advice here.

Everytime it rains, I usually use 4 wheel drive to get out into traffic. If
I don't, I sit there and spin (naturally). But when I try to take it out of
4 wheel drive it won't dis-engage. I have tried putting it in neutral
(tranny) I have come to a complete stop... but it will ride for a few miles
still in 4 wheel drive. The transfer case wines, and when it finally does
come out of 4 wheel drive it makes this loud bang and the whole truck jumps
like I hit a big bump.

Now the dealership is telling me that I am binding up my transfer case
because there isn't enough slippage in both rears to dis-engage the transfer
case. I should only use 4 wheel drive in slippery conditions and slipping on
wet roads isn't making the truck slip enough.

Now, when I first got the truck, I never had this kind of problem. It never
banged out of 4 wheel, it never wined and it never took a long time to come
out. I have always used 4 wheel drive in wet weather, I have to or I would
never get to where I need to go :) But never have ever drove on dry roads
with it. If what they said is true.... why would it take 1-3 miles to
disengage, why doesn't putting it in neutral work and why does it slam so
hard coming out? And why would it say in the owners manual to use 4 wheel
drive occasionally to lubricate parts? Are the feeding me a line of shit
once again? Could use any advice on this one. What they are telling me just
doesn't sound right to me. Thanks for any help!

Erika
1999 Dodge Dakota CC 3.9

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com