Relief for AOL 6.0 users???

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 02:33:42 EST

  Hey, I may have some good news for you AOL 6.0 users!

  For those of you not already aware of the problem, if you "upgrade" to
AOL 6.0, all of your messages go out with an HTML attachment in them, and
you don't have any choice in the matter. (i.e. no way to turn it off)
Besides the fact that this is HORRIBLE nettiquite, AOL's forcing it upon
everyone practically boggles the mind; they seem to think it is some sort
of feature! Anyway, this is a widespread problem and I have heard AOL
users and other list admins and complaining about this problem. I wrote
to AOL about the problem three times, and the best I was able to get out
of them was that they were going to look into the situation. :-P

  Since it was obvious AOL wasn't going to come up with a fix (anytime
soon, anyway) I decided to see if there was something I could do. As
the situation now stands, DMLers who are AOL 6.0 users have three choices:
Downgrade to AOL 5, post messages only via the NNTP gateway (newsgroup),
or don't post at all. My solution was to create a separate address which
AOL 6.0 users can send their posts to. This will send the message
through a program I have written which will do some basic validation and
strip all the attachment junk out of the message, then send it on to the
DML. I have studied several different bounced AOL 6.0 messages, and I
believe I have been able to determine the similarities to the point
where this should work. :-)

  I have tested it locally using test data, but since I am not an AOL
member, I cannot be 100% certain that it is functional. So, I'll just
post this info and we'll see what happens:

  If you are an AOL 6.0 user and you want to post a message to the DML,
the address you should send it to is:

  aol@dakota-truck.net

  Note that if you are an AOL 6.0 user and you want to reply to a message
on the DML, your reply will probably automatically be directed to
dakota-truck@buffnet.net. Be sure to change that "To" address to
aol@dakota-truck.net before you send your reply!

  If you have any problems using the aol@dakota-truck.net address,
please let me know. Thanks, and good luck! :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'