Re: Dodge versus the Lightning

From: Ryan Stewart (firebird@kymtnnet.org)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 02:49:23 EST

Okay, let's start out here. on the RTML there are 800 members, or roughly
5% of all R/Ts on the road. out of those, maybe 100 or so who post often
have posted their stock times. The vast majority are in the low 15s/high
14s. The high 14s are mostly 00s because Dodge upgraded the engine some for
that year. There have been some 98/99s that have ran 14.6-14.9. OK, I have
seen roughly the same amount of times for 4.7s, mostly 5 speeds. Most in
the high 14 slow 15s, and some as slow at mid/high 15s, like Steve E.
Considering maybe 30k 4.7s have been made so far, that puts the percentage
of 4.7s running he high 14s/low 15s LOWER than amount of 5.9 R/Ts running
those times. Giving that, and the fact a 98 R/T ran 14.61, the 14.51 form
a 00 was almost certainly guaranteed and there are probably even quicker
examples out there. For the record the changes to 00s included a smaller
clutch fan, smaller pullies, aux electric fan, and bigger injectors (the
latter is a bit controversial though) By statistics I would say the R/Ts are
quicker by majority are quicker. oh my personal best is a 15.2 (corrected
14.97) and that was with a terrible .2184 short time (the 4.7 that hit that
15.19 ran a low 2.0x short time I believe), only mods are PCM/180 T-stat.
by the end of the winter, I guarantee a 12 second slip. I also disagree
heavily with someone who said the 5.9 is stretched pretty far from the
factory, if anything the opposite is true. Stock it comes as basically a
truck motor, you get into and wonders happen. The Merx R/T is running 536
RWHP right now on a stock block. One question. Why all the hate for R/Ts
here? I feel like I'm on a freaking Lightning board. I personally like all
Dakotas and definatly like what I see in the 4.7. that said, the more I
have the 5.9 Magnum the more in love it