Re: r/t versus lightning?

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 19:44:19 EST

ron chapell wrote:

> My first question is why? These two trucks are not in the same class. 1.
> You are looking at a midsized truck against a full sized truck. 2. Naturally
> aspirated against Supercharged.
>
> We are obviously comparing apples and oranges here. The only simularities
> these trucks have are that they are both fast. Thats it. Now if Dodge would
> have made a wild Ram ss/t or Ford at least put a v-8 in the ranger then you
> would have something to compare. Well guess what...neither did.

Guess what? Dodge DID make a wild Ram - it was the Viper VTS pickup with an all
aluminum V10 engine and a 6-speed gearbox. With over 400 naturally-aspirated
horsepower on tap (some say over 500hp) - smoking a lightning wouldn't be a
problem. Unfortunately it wasn't a regular production vehicle. Turns out the
government wouldn't allow that much horsepower and torque in a short-bed pickup
(still can't buy a short box V10 in the US - can in Mexico!). The Viper VTS is
the grandaddy of the Indy Rams (VTS clones w/360s). FYI - the SS/Ts were just
later model sport trucks that followed the theme set by the IndyRams. Did you
ever notice that the SS/Ts weren't available in brilliant blue with white
stripes? Thats the colors of the Viper VTS and the Indy Rams ONLY (as in
produced 1 year only). Those colors were retired after the only (1996)
production run of 2,802 units.

More info at http://www.indyram.org

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"