RE: plug in dak?...block warmer?

From: Paul.Tomlinson (Paul.Tomlinson@gov.yk.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 10:37:17 EST

They are called block heaters up here, and in Canada they are standard on
Dakotas and most other new vehicles. On most vehicles that I have seen the
block heater replaces one of the frost plugs and is basically an electrical
heating element that warms up the antifreeze. Some people also put on an
oil pan heater and battery blanket. Generally I don't plug my vehicles in
until it is below -15C (5F) and you are only supposed plug in the vehicle
for an hour or two before you start it. The problem that you are describing
could be because you aren't using a thinner oil for winter (5w-30 or the
like) remember a block heater doesn't heat the oil, just the antifreeze.

Of course when the temperature goes below -40 (Celsius or Fahrenheit it
doesn't matter) my baby doesn't leave the garage.

Paul
2001 Intense Blue CC Sport Plus 4x4 4.7l 5-speed
Whitehorse, Yukon (look wayyyyyy up)