Re: Sub 12 Neon Turbo-Truth or Facts

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 19:14:12 EST

STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil (Stlaurent Mr Steven) wrote in
<A58A344E318AD21190C5004095103E720188516C@mctssa02.mctssa.usmc.mil>:

>Since most Neon run into 16.xx on the average for the 1/4 mile, I cannot
>see even with a 8PSI Turbo unit, which is a safe zone for the drive
>train and engine components to outrun even a stock Viper. The Viper GTS
>runs 12.2-12.4 in the 1/4 mile on stock drive train. Now you see my
>point.
>
>Since I have seen the numbers for a Whipple SC Neon motor, the 1/4 mile
>times doesn't match with this comparo. Ryan, even with a 6 or 8PSI, you
>will only get around 200-215HP at the front drive train and no more.
>With this in mind, the Neon is only going to produce around a low 15 or
>high 14 at the most depending on which tires the dude is running. Then
>add a few other extras, he may make it into the low 14. Even comparing
>weight of a mere 600 lbs difference is not going to help the Neon.
>
>What I am seeing here is 16PSI or better and plus some other stuff keep
>it from failing on the street or strip while running below the 12.x
>range. Maybe a bottle on top a turbo. There is no way...no way he
>running something that low and beating a Viper GTS. If he were, I would
>opt to buy a Neon and load it. To much money in investing into the Neon
>to keep the car together for both street and strip.
>
>What he saying and what is reality is another story.

  He doesn't actually say what boost level he is running on his site (not that
I can see, anyway), but I do agree that he is obviously running a mess of it.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were running in excess of 20psi. But...
Some motors can take it, when they've been built for it. (One example is a
tractor pull motor which I *think* will commonly run around 100psi of boost (I
would have to look that up for sure, but it is a heck of a lot of boost)) :-)

  Anyway, he is indeed running a 100hp shot of nitrous on top of the blower.
(This is actually quite common on imports and the like who run a single large
turbo; they generally don't start making big power until the mid or upper rpms
so they need the nitrous off the line to boost low end power. I don't know how
Len's Neon is set up, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. Plus,
nitrous makes a great "intercooler".) The page says he is using forged pistons
and billet connecting rods, so they have obviously done some work to beef it
up. If it holds together, more power to 'em! (no pun intended) ;-) He makes
his runs on slicks, and the car's race weight (with driver) is 2400lbs.

  I'm a bit confused by the hostility this car has generated. I see no reason
to doubt what they have said on the web site, and if anything we should be
offering Len and Hahn Turbo Systems our kudos for building such a neat Mopar
that will open some eyes and blow some minds. :-)

  I also don't see anything wrong with a vehicle that runs higher boost at the
track than it does on the street. Its usually a compromise; many people are
willing to up the boost for short periods to turn good times, but they may not
want their engine running on the ragged edge all of the time. In fact, this is
exactly what nitrous users do... For those people who can't afford to build a
motor up to the level where it will take full power full time, being able to
alter the power level offers them the best of both worlds... I believe the car
is driven year round, and someone said he is located in IL; I sure wouldn't
want to drive a 600hp Neon in the snow! Anyhoo, everybody's situation is
different and I guess it just boils down to "to each his own"...

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'