Re: May I ask for you help?

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 18:18:29 EST

Patrick,

I'm no "guru" and the other 4.7L owners on this list would be more versed on
the availability of headers for the 4.7L. (Wasn't JBA working on something for
them?)

As for the cat-back system: Gibson, Dynomax, or Flowmaster seem to be
the "choice" of the DML. (Borla included...but slightly overpriced in my
opinion.) Gibson and Dynomax sound about the same, with a nice rumble at idle
but a V8 growl under WOT. The Flowmaster has a sound of its own...tinny at
idle and "pops" under decelleration, but it's still an excellent system. (The
Ravin muffler doesn't do this but at $140 for a muffler...spend your money
elsewhere.)

For street applications, don't bother with anything larger than 2.5" on a dual-
tip system (unless it's a single tip exit...then 3"). You will loose some
bottom-end power but will gain it back on the top-end. Now if you want to race
your Dakota on a daily/weekend basis...a more agressive exhaust system (3"
free/high-flow) would be better. But...don't be persuaded by the flow ratings
of the mufflers, the color (Chrome), or by the "Hype" of their advertising. A
500-700cfm muffler will perform just as well as a 1000+cfm muffler on the
street as a daily driver. If your out for all out racing...1000+cfm is the
choice though.

The combined knowledge gained from the folks on the DML (and other Dakota
related sites) is incredible...isn't it. ;)

Regards,

- Bernd
(Now eating a lot of toast due to an excess of butter on his plate.) ;)