Fuel Sending Units/Fuel Pumps

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 22:17:33 EST

This really never bothered me in the past, but I am getting sick of it
happening. How come my truck goes through so many frigin fuel sending units
and fuel pumps? Two pumps/sending units were replaced under warranty and I
have replaced 2 of them myself. One time the sending unit just went out, so
to save some money, I just dropped the tank and installed the new sending
unit; only to have the fuel pump die one week later. Down came the tank
again. Not that dropping the tank is hard, cause I can have it out in 10
minutes, it is just the fact that CARTER fuel pumps suck and fuel pumps
should outlast the vehicle! Plain and simple. I checked my records, and
every fuel pump module that either I have replaced or that the dealer has
replaced, consistently lasts 30,000-35,000 miles. WHY?? I dont run the tank
down past the 1/4 marker, so they are not failing due to lack of overheating
or lack of lubrication.
Currently, the fuel sending unit is acting up again, and the pump will be
soon to follow. I just hate not knowing when it will go out on me. I have
always bought the direct replacement fuel pump module, which this last time
I bought through NAPA for $130. I alos have the fuel tank steamed out every
time I replace anything internally, and change the fuel filter the same
time. I also change the fuel filter every 15,000 miles anyway. WHY? WHY?
WHY?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6