Back from Vacation & MPG prob fixed!!!-long

From: Mike Styer (dakotamike@netzero.net)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 23:58:13 EST

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Yes, I'm in a good mood even as I wait to download 5 days of DML messages. This
New Year is starting out much better than last. I had a great Christmas with
family in PA, learned to snow board (sort of), got a Dremel for Christmas, and met
a chick in that digs me, black trucks, and manual transmissions:) And yes, I have
a black truck with a manual transmission.

On top of all that I come home to over 2 feet of snow to play in...Andy, I really
wish I had your truck now, cause I'm sure I'll be finding some fun places to drive
through ;)

Dak related, my 9 month problem with my MPG has been repaired. For those who may
not know, my 93 3.9 V6 which up until Easter had been getting 18-22 mpg, suddenly
and unexplainable was getting 10... Driving habits and conditions did not matter,
she got a flat 10 mpg no matter what. Performance was only slightly off and no
fuel leaks.

I pulled the codes from the computer at Thanksgiving and got a 13 and 51. MAP
vacuum problem and O2 sensor running full rich. Since I had no money, I tested
both component every weekend trying to track down what exactluy was the culprit.
Then a day after Christmas, I went ahead and just replaced the MAP sensor and the
O2 sensor and reset the computer (to those of you who responded with ways of
testing those sensors, thank you. My ISP is acting funny and I did not receive any
mail from Christmas Eve until I left).

In sheer frustration, I just installed them and left for my trip, about 200 miles
from Syracuse, NY to central PA. I left home with little less than half a tank of
gas, or about 90-100 miles. I made it all the way, with the dummy light coming on
a mile from my relatives driveway :) I filled her to the top and have about 290
miles on this tank and I will let everyone know the currrent MPG when I fill up
next.

Additionaly the truck handling cruising on the highway much better. It wasn't
necessary to downshift when hitting all but the steepest hills even with 500lbs of
weight in the back, 400 lbs of people and 200 lbs of bum dogs in the cab. I've
noticed the exhaust does not smoke as much, and the pinging common to most of our
Daks is at least quieter. Not bad for an 8 year old truck with 191K and only $600
or so put in for repairs:)

The cost of either part is what hurt the most, the MAP sensor $55 and the O2 $50,
both from Autozone in Syracuse. Well worth it though since it looks like I will be
getting BETTER mpg than before this mees happened. I'll post the instructions for
the repair to the DML mainpage when I get a chance, but if you have any questions
until then, just send me an email.

Sorry about this being so long, I missed you guys...;) Now go do your taxes...

Mike S.
93 V6 5-speed CC Sport
PermaCool 16" electric fan
Dynomax catback exhaust

Shop Safely Online Without a Credit Card
http://www.rocketcash.com