Re: was dumbest thing now diamondstar

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 11:42:32 EST

dakotaviper@yahoo.com (dakotaviper) wrote in
<20010102122719.4559.qmail@web4505.mail.yahoo.com>:

>The fast Dodge was the Stealth! Correct me if I'm
>wrong; but, I think that the Stratus and Sebrings
>coupes are still built in this plant. The plant is, I
>think, in the Normal, Illinois area. Well, I do know
>it is in the Northern third of Illinois. I'm not sure
>about this though: the Mistubishi 3000GT, might have
>been built there and I know that the Eclipse is. The
>Dodge D-50 and Mitsubishi truck were never built
>there.
>I had three D-50's; '85, '88 and '91. They were built
>in Nagasaki, Japan.

   I believe the 3000GT and the Stealth were both built in Japan.
Interestingly, the 3000GT Spyders were built in Japan then shipped
to CA where the convertible conversion was done.

  Another lil' fact... In an effort to be different, Dodge changed
the Stealth slightly by changing the functional rear spoiler to the
"bananna" type behind the windsheild (which does nothing), and the
active aero system was also not available on the Stealth. (Consisted
of a moveable rear wing and front airdam that deployed at 50mph.) As
a result, the VR-4 was faster than the R/T.

  And a final lil' fact... It costs just under $1000 to replace the
rubber on that car! I think that is part of the impetus that caused
me to trade it in on a Dak. (Well, that and the fact that the warranty
was about to run out!) :-)

  Replying to Andy Levy's question, the 0-60 time of these cars
was in the mid-5 second zone. I believe the 1/4 was supposed to
be in the 13's somewhere but its been a while so I don't recall
exactly. Unfortunately, I never had my VR-4 to the strip. :-( But,
I smoked many a mustang on the street. The only stoplight race I ever
lost was to a Harley Davidson; but only by a fender. :-)

  Dak content: My Dak is gonna smoke those VR-4s! Well, until the
first curve anyway... ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ----- -. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ --- -'