Re: Acceleration and Axle Ratios

From: Terry Herrin (therrin@isaac.net)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 21:52:35 EST

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:49:12 -0800 (PST), dakotacab@yahoo.com (John
Snider) wrote:
>--Why do you think the 5.9 auto 4x2 was that much
>faster than a 4.7 auto 4x4?

Two reasons. One, the 4x4 is heavier, and two, the 5.9 is a stronger
engine. Now before the 4.7 guys start flaming, I know that a 4.7 5spd
will keep up with an R/T which is a 5.9 auto, but that's because the
5spd is more efficient than the auto putting power to the wheels. In
front of the same tranny the 5.9 will be faster. So let's please not
start the 4.7 vs. 5.9 battle again, I'm just answering the man's
question.

Terry Herrin
99 FR CC RT
14.425 @ 93.52, 258 rwhp
Wilmington, NC
Dakota R/T Club, Executive Board, SE Region
http://users.isaac.net/therrin/dakota.html