Re: Weird fuel gauge readings

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 11:25:45 EST

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:57:45 -0800 (PST), adelimon@yahoo.com (Alan
Delimon) wrote:

>But I have noticed that the fuel gauge gets what appear to
>be weird readings. Like my low fuel light comes on, and I
>go to fill it with gas. But I'll drive it for that like a
>day, and 16 gallons will fill the tank.
>
>The light comes on with about 8 gallons left in the tank,
>and this is consistent behavior for my truck. Is/has
>anyone else experiencing this? If not I'm thinking that
>maybe the fuel computer is screwy.

There's nothing wrong with your truck or the fuel computer. It's doing
what it's supposed to do...warn you when you're LOW ON FUEL!!! The
reason it comes on when you still have several gallons left in the
tank is because the fuel pump (which is in the gas tank) needs to be
submerged in fuel to help cool the pump. If you consistently let the
tank get real low before fueling the pump will run hot while it's
exposed and could shorten its life. It costs the same to run with a
full tank as an empty tank and could save headaches down the road.
Don't let the tank get too low before fueling.
97 V6 Auto
e-mail mcrumley@airmail.net

By the time they had diminished from 50 to eight, the other
dwarves began to suspect "Hungry."