Weird fuel gauge readings

From: Alan Delimon (adelimon@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 18:57:45 EST

Hi all,
I'm new to the list and I have a question for my fellow
Dakota owners.

I have a 2000 Regular Cab 4x4 with the V6 and automatic.
Got it in July and I love it (minus the gas mileage :) ).

But I have noticed that the fuel gauge gets what appear to
be weird readings. Like my low fuel light comes on, and I
go to fill it with gas. But I'll drive it for that like a
day, and 16 gallons will fill the tank.

The light comes on with about 8 gallons left in the tank,
and this is consistent behavior for my truck. Is/has
anyone else experiencing this? If not I'm thinking that
maybe the fuel computer is screwy.