Re: Fuel tank size

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 18:38:09 EST

CSRyan@teleport.com (Chris Ryan) wrote in <3A564D8B.8DDA7392@teleport.com>:

>I saw a thread about this recently so I wanted to chime in. My 99 4x4
>with the Sport Plus and HD option groups was supposed to have a 22 gal
>tank. I can never get more than 17.5 gals into it when the needle reads
>E. So I assume I got shorted and received the smaller tank. I couldn't
>imagine that there's another 4 gals left on the other side of E. I can't
>seem to find my window sticker to confirm the right tank. Is there a way
>of finding out option info like that through the VIN?

   I don't know if its because they use the same sender, or if they are just
being ultra-conservative, but I'd bet there is indeed another 4 gallons in
there; this is pretty common on the Dak. Throw a 5 gallon can in the back and
see what happens. :-) Or, you may want to get under the truck and try to
measure the tank; you can probably figure out the volume that way.

  The gas tank isn't encoded in the VIN, but if you take your VIN to a dealer,
they can run it through the computer and tell you what size your gas tank is
supposed to be.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'