RE: DSL was :Re: Home computer/Dak update

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 22:00:22 EST

Check this:

Test running..Downloaded 60900bytes in 350ms
Downloaded 696000bytes in 1883ms
First guess is 2956kbps
a FAST line - now test 3mb
Downloaded 1679100bytes in 4857ms
Upload got ok 1 bytes uploaded
Uploaded 1bytes in 90ms
Upload got ok 1 bytes uploaded
Uploaded 1bytes in 80ms
Upload got ok 1 bytes uploaded
Uploaded 1bytes in 91ms
Upload got ok 50000 bytes uploaded
Uploaded 50000bytes in 1882ms
Upload got ok 250000 bytes uploaded
Uploaded 250000bytes in 11847ms

** Speed 2765(down)/169(up) kbps **
(At least 55 times faster than a 56k modem)
Finish.

That's on a SLOW day with cable...

I work for Covad... I install DSL. My connection
at home is via cablemodem (had it before I went to
work for Covad), and it has its ups and downs.

Overall, a 1.5 downstream with DSL is a better deal,
and more consistant. Sometime cable drops to less
than 56k for a while (when everybody gets on at the
same time).

A couple of things about DSL-- it isn't like the line
is split in two... There's two types of DSL installs,
and 3 types of DSL service.

1) a standard install involves a new 'line' to your house
or business just like a new dialup line. This line carries
the DSL signal, which is then either run via a new cable to your
computer, or via a spare cable pair in your existing phone cabling.

2) a lineshare install involves having the phone company take your
(213) xxx-1212 phone number in the central office, move it into a
line share piece of equipment, which has your phone number and dsl
circuit attached to it. then, when the dsl tech comes to your house
they install special filters on your existing phone handsets to
filter out any voice communication from interfering with the dsl circuit
that is on the line. This is delivered in a freq much higher than you
can hear and much higher than phone/modem/fax can detect. Your dsl modem
just plugs into any 'unfiltered' outlet, or via a splitter along side a
filter.

3) services-- DSL consists of ADSL (asynch. DSL).. meaning higher downstream
than upstream (like most cable modems)- 1.5 down/128-384kps up... SDSL is
synch. dsl
which means at the same speed-- used mostly in businesses, and a lot more
money.. speeds
consist of 192/192 384/384 768/768 1.1/1.1 1.2/1.2 1.5/1.5 (T1)... Each has
a differnt
price, and all all distance depended... 1.5 is good up to 4900', 1.2 is good
up to x, etc.
and finally there's IDSL.. Simply, ISDN over DSL. 144kps up and 144kps
down. This is the
long haul DSL... upwards of 35000' from the CO.

DML content... If you want DSL, use me as a referral and I'll split the $$$
with ya!

Sam '00 RT