GenIII 'Bugs'

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 23:18:42 EST

Here is the rundown I can remember of various problems with various years:
-1998/99= Popping Sensation/Noise In Steering Column While Turning......what
fixed this problem?
-1998/99=Ignition System Cross Fire; doesnt really bother me, just would
slap on some MSD wires anyways
-1998/99=Ball Joint Failure; is this upper ball joints and/or lower ball
joints
-Light Spark Knock
-1998/99=Popping Noise when turning, wasnt this the cab bushings? Once
fixed........did the problem get 100% fixed?
-1998/99=Timing Chain Noise

Bernd.......what are the top 5 types of Dakotas(4WD only) with the dreaded
pinging problem, broken down by year, engine size, etc? I looked for it on
your website and cannot locate it. Thanks.

The 2000 Dakotas were the first Dakotas to have the 4.7L V8s in them, right?
They also seem to have the least engine related problems. I just am not sure
about the 'service-ability', meaning how easy it would be to work on them.
If the engine compartment is anything like my girlfriend's 2000 Durango 4WD
4.7L, I am shying away from it. Didnt some GenIII owners complain of the
rear LSD making rather loud whining noises? Maybe? Even though these
'problems' may seem to be excessive, I still know Dodge Dakotas are the best
made truck's and one of the most capable offroad 'stock' vehicles. I just
want to make sure what years to avoid, if any, but basically what to look
for. Not saying I am looking or anything though! Please let me know what
else I should add, what is wrong, or little tips on GenIII 4WD Dakotas.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6