Re: Blackstone says 1% Gas

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 23:34:11 EST

> Hey Guys (Bernd?)
> I got my last Lab Report back from Blackstone and they say that my oil
> sample had 1% gas with a flash point of 350. Do you think the jet chip
> has me running too lean?
> I also showed a little higher wear...Iron / Tin but I screwd up and
> missed an oil change. 10,000 miles on the mobil 1
> Any ideas? BTW 94,000 on the 6'er

 Bob,
Sorry for my first cut off post.
I am very glad to know all my repeated 3,000 mile oil changes with Castrol
10W-30
and Fram's PH16 looks like it paid off. so far. Here is what Blackstone told
me
what they told me: "Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil
from this type of engine after a routine run on the oil. Your oil was run
the nominal 3,000 miles, and we found wear quite low and properly balanced
for the type. No gas, moisture, or coolant was found in the sample. We like
your choice of oil and think your engine is doing well, especially for a 4WD
vehicle at 115,973 miles. Check back at 125,000 miles." Not too bad eh?
My truck now has 135,000 miles on it, and next oil change I am going to send
in a sample,
just to see what is going on inside my truck.
Here are the technical specs on my motor oil, after being driven for 3,000
miles in my 1993 Dakota 4x4 V6 with 115,973(at the lab test time) miles. I
have used Castrol 10W-30 and Fram PH16 every oil change since I bought the
truck with 13,500 miles on it. The truck has never burned/needed any oil
between oil change intervals. All the elements are listed in parts per
million.
Aluminum: 5
Chromium: 1
Iron: 16
Copper: 11
Lead: 11
Tin: 1
Molybdenum: 88
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Vandium: 0
Boron: 0
Silicon: 11
Sodium: 5
Calcium: 1550
Magnesium: 252
Phosphorus: 689
Zinc: 738
Barium: 0
SUS Viscosity @210degrees(Values should be 59-72): 60.6
Flashpoint in degrees(Values shoud be >365): 360
Fuel %(Values shoudl be <2.0): <0.5
Antifreeze %(Values should be 0): 0
Water %(Values should be <0.05): 0.0
Insoluables %(Values should be <0.6): .6

Hopefully this will give you a comparison to your readings, and I think Jon
has posted 2 of his Blackstone lab readings on the DML homepage. Hope you
find out why gas is in your oil, but I just cant see how a rich or lean
condition could lead to have gasoline in your oil anyways. Good Luck Bob.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6