Engine problems

From: Lynn Gustafson (crtech@hot.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 01:56:13 EST

I ran the engine codes on my truck. It is an 89 Dakota with a 3.9L V6. 2
of the codes I do not know how to correct. The first one is code 13 which
is "No difference recognized between the engine MAP reading and the
barometric pressure reading from start-up." and the second one is code 17
which is "Engine does not reach 50 degrees F with in 5 minutes with a
vehicle speed signal or engine does not reach operation temperature with in
acceptable limits."

I know that the back pressure transducer is bad. I just found it melted. I
have bought the new part, which I had to buy with the EGR valve as dodge
only sells it as one part. The parts guy, who seemed to be quite familiar
with the failure, said that the most likely cause was that the exhaust (most
likely the CAT) was stopped up causing more back pressure to the EGR valve
and melting the transducer. The exhaust pipes have just been replaced from
the CAT back and I would have thought that any shop doing the work would
have caught a stopped up CAT, but I guess not. Can anyone tell me if this
is the honeycomb CAT or the one with the small beads in it.

I also found that on the fresh air intake hose leading to the intake has a
small hose teeing off from it that connects to the SMEC unit. This hose was
not connected. I have already reconnected this hose and have found that it
does not have the sag off the line like it use to.

Any comments or suggestion on what these two error codes mean and how to fix
them?

Thanks