Re: Re: Truck Badges

From: Alex Harris (jetcity@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 12:08:22 EST

Here's a couple of options on making custom badges...

For a 2-D badge you can design something and have it cut on a laser machine
out of, say, 3/8" aluminum or even plastic. If you're steady with a Dremel,
you could bevel the edges or add other 3-D touches, then paint it or have it
anodized. That would be a pretty inexpensive way to go, you could probably
make badges for under $15 each.

Another option if you want to spend more money (and get a cooler piece) is
rapid prototyping technology, like stereo lithography or fuse deposition
modeling. Design something in Form-Z or another 3-D program and it'll build
a sample out of epoxy resin, ABS, and so on. I've never had anything made
this way so I have no idea how much it would cost... worth doing some
research on, though!

Check out http://conceptual-reality.com/ for some basics on rapid
prototyping... that's one of many sites you can find with a search.

- Alex