Do some Daks just have inconsistent performance??

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 23:35:36 EST

I tell you folks,I just got my Dak back after having
the cat replaced,and it does run better,but I`m
confused.Is there anything common to our trucks that
make them kick butt sometimes,then run like a dog at
other times? Mine is the 99 V6 4x4 RC 42RE with
3.92s,that has had the power loss problem for 10
months or more.Maybe it`s been there all
along.Anyway,after driving the truck around today,it
still felt weak.So I took it back and asked if I could
drive a brand new Dak set up like mine,and they did
let me.Same everything,gears,31" tires,etc etc,and I
was surprised to find out that it didn`t run any
better than mine.Now here is the strange part:my Dak
feels very strong at times,even stronger-running than
the new one did today.Then sometimes it has very
little power.Even since the weather has gotten cold,no
change.I`m to the point of not knowing if there is
still a problem,or not.The Ram that they let me drive
for the past week,it had a 360 in it,but I swear that
it was like that,too.It was just sluggish at times.Is
there something with the computers or sensor setups in
the late-model Dodge trucks that causes inconsistent
power and performance? I mean,wide open throttle is
either a strong pull,or it`s a bunch of noise with no
power.Takeoff is either squealing tires
unintentionally because there is so much torque,or it
just kinda fades into it.Now that I`ve driven a new
Dak that felt basically like mine,I don`t know what to
think.My truck has felt very strong for brief periods
in the past.Is THAT not normal? Do they just
occasionally run strong,and normally they don`t?
Steve P.

=====
1999 Dakota Sport 3.9V6,4x4,3.92 Anti-spin,42RE auto,Intense Blue,regular cab.