Re: Re: Battery Relocation

From: greasy (greasy@dodge-trucks.net)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 20:22:42 EST

Jason,
    the best place for tips on mounting a battery outside the engine
compartment is the NHRA rule book. I have done several battery relocations,
and the Three problems I have run into are...
#1 not enough power to starter/acc.
    with the batt so far from it's orig location the power loss can reduce
the strength of your starter, and occasionally cause computer problems.
    I have found that the best solution is to permanently mount one batt,
and use the shortest amount of wire possible, as well as the thickest and
best wire.

#2 no kill switch : many tracks follow this rule and if the battery is
outside the engine comp, a battery shut off switch is required for the
safety crew. this must be mounted at the rear of the car, be easily
accessible, and can be either a push/pull switch, or a lever switch.
    Flaming River has many styles and some can even be used as a security
switch.
    We used a switch with a push/pull lever for a friend's Pontiac. the
lever was removed for the street and the switch was hidden under the car.
    at the track the rod and handle were inserter through a hole between
trunk and bumper, and through a hanger which located it to the switch, then
a pin held the rod to the switch.
#3 improper battery container/ hold down.
    When the batt is in the trunk a fire wall is required between the
passenger compartment and the batt
in the trunk.
    Also the batt must be in a sealed and vented box.
    This is not nesicary as the batt will be outside the passenger
compartment.
    You will need a proper hold down so that the batt is secured in place.

I would reccomend an optima batt under the bed, wired to replace the batt
under the hood. this can serve as your only batt.

If you want to be able to switch, use the thickest guage wire avaliable as
there will be a long path for the wire to the front of the truck, and then
to the starter.

Gregg