RE: TB modifications

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 07:35:39 EST

The Man From Utopia wrote:

> > Hey everybody,
> >
> > Has anybody done they're own tb mods?
>
> I did! I did!

Me too! I actually did it back in '97 (I think) from kukukooter's original
posting to the DML about his results of doing it "home-brew" style. Back then
she only had about 12,000 miles (have 110,000 now).

> > I want to clean take those ridges off of the top, thin the blades and
> shafts, and polish the holes...

I didn't do the ridges off the top (easy) or thinning the blades (hard) - just
took the dremel to the holes. Beware that the screws holding the blades to the
shaft are probably peened from the factory to keep them from backing out.

> > This will be my first big job with the Dremel (xmas present:). What
> > attachment should I use to remove the ridges?
>
> A hacksaw to remove those big nasty things at the top of the TB (except

I too would use a hacksaw on the top ridges as the dremel won't get flat enough
against the tb-base but the hacksaw blade will.

I measured my tb before the mod and found the tops of the bores to be 52mm, the
bottoms to be 52mm, and the middle was at 48mm forming a sort of venturi. MP
calls this their "progressive bore design" which keeps the air velocity high
when the blade position is less than approx. 20 percent open. Knowing that the
smaller diameter will restrict flow at higher rpms - I decided it had to go. I
only removed 2mm of it on mine leaving room for some more improvement later but
since I started using an Edelbrock ProFlo air cleaner - I haven't needed more
airflow into the motor.

Keep in mind that the stock "progressive bore design" which gives higher air
velocity at lower rpms will be better than any hone job if low end torque is
what you are after. Removing it might also affect gas mileage in city driving
as higher air velocity translates to better cylinder filling. Of course at the
dragstrip - bigger is always better 8-).

One more thing - you might want to try a brake cylinder hone if you are worried
about getting them bores perfectly round. Ok not perfect but close.

Just some ideas...

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"