TSBs;Fuel Pumps/Sending Units

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 19:21:49 EST

My truck's gas gauge is really acting lately, and I can only think of the
fuel sending unit as the culprit.
I checked my truck's maintainence records today, and noted that typically,
the fuel pump module(which includes the sending unit) lasts for about
30-35,000 miles. Well the last pump module was put in at 108,000 miles....so
I am 'planning' on it to die soon. Which is sad. I just think a fuel
pump/sending unit should outlast a vehicle, and I have never heard of
putting 4-5 pump modules in a vehicle. I once just spent $40 for the fuel
sending unit, dropped the tank and installed it; only to have the fuel pump
module die on my one week later. So for $125, I would rather spend the extra
money and not have to drop the gas tank two times. I just really hate the
fact that this will be my truck's 4th or 5th fuel pump module. The dealer
replaced it once due to a no start problem and I have replaced them every
since; out of warranty of course. It is not that dropping the tank is
difficult, cause I can have it out of my truck within 10-15 minutes,
repaired, and bolted back up within an hour. I just dont get it why this
trucks 'eats' them up so frequently.

Now onto Technical Service Bulletins:
How would TSBs relate to my fuel pump/fuel sending unit problems? I looked
at www.alldata.com and see the following fuel related TSBs listed:
"Bulletins for 1993 Dodge Truck Dakota 4WD V6-239 3.9L":
-TSB# 083394; Issue Date:JUL 94; Inaccurate Fuel Gauge
-TSB#140593B; Issue Date:AUG 93; Expanded Improved Fuel Pump
-TSB#140493; Issue Date:APR 93; Fuel Pump/Sending Unit Module Tightening
Procedure
-TSB#140393;Issue Date:MAR 93; Fuel Pump and Filter Replacement Information

Does anyone know what these mean and if a local dealer would be able to tell
me anything more? Like possibly they know something about the crappy a$$
Carter fuel pump assemblies???????
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6