Alternators Revisited

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 19:27:44 EST

Well I dropped the tank yesterday and fixed my truck's fuel pump problem. I
have never had an 'idiot' light or warning light appear on my truck's dash,
until tonight coming home from work. The alternator light came on! So it
looks like I cant procrastinate any longer, a new alternator must be put
on......I am also going to buy and install a new battery at the same time. I
have debated and debated this, and cant figure out which amp model to get. I
do have alot more electrical items on my truck, so I am sure the stock 75A
alternator has been struggling for sometime to keep up. This seems like a
good time for an alternator upgrade. Maybe. I called around and without a
doubt the best prices I found were at Autozone for the 90amp and the 120amp
alternators. Pep Boys was cheaper for the 75amp alternator. Here is the
price breakdown:
Autozone:
-75A: $169; $62 core
-90A: $139; $55 core
-120A: $115; $40 core
Pep Boys:
-75A: $144; $65 core
-90A: $144; $65 core
-120A: $154; $65 core

To me, there isnt any reason to buy the smallest amped alternator, other
than if it will make installation alot easier. Amazing that the highest amp
alternator is $54 cheaper than the 75amp unit, isnt it? Both Pep Boys and
Autozone alternators carry a lifetime warranty. I have brought this up
before, and just want to make sure than the 90A or 120A alternator will 100%
fit where my stock 75A unit is currently at. Also, will the electrical
hookup(s) be the same? I havent really looked at my truck's alternator
connections very well. What connections, electrically, are back there to
power it?? Can anyone please verify if going up to a 90A or a 120A
alternator would be a 100% bolt on, painless, bolt on?? Thanks......just
hope my battery doesnt die on me in the meantime!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6