Re: Maintance Required Question

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 11:29:38 EST

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:42:09 -0500, ray.sulich@snet.net (Ray Sulich)
wrote:

>I have a '91 Dodge Dakota LE 4X4 with a 5.2 liter engine. As I said
>before, the maintenance required light on the dash is lit. Does this light
>come on at certain mileages or does it only come on when something is
>wrong. I checked with a local shop and the say they charge between $55-$75
>to hook up the diagnostic rig and tell me what it says. Secondly, if it
>only lights when something is wrong..... when I find and fix the problem
>will the light go out, or does it take someone with the diagnostic rig to
>clear the fault.

That's the light that comes on when you need to have maintenance done
to the emissions control stuff. Your local dealer should do the work
for not much more than that local shop was going to charge you to hook
up to their computer. And, yes, the light must be reset with the
computer.

97 V6 Auto
e-mail mcrumley@airmail.net

Look at the bright side -- in 10 years there will be radio
stations playing classic rap.