Modified my TB last night- Woke up today :)

From: dakotamike@netzero.net
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 09:54:14 EST

Hey everyone!

Did my pretrip maintenance on the old Dak last night and went ahead
and modded my tb. I was gonna wait until after I got back to let you
all know how it went, but I couldn't hold it in:)

I took the tb off the intake manifold, carefully propped it in the
vice, and took a hacksaw to the ridges around the bores. I took
everything off the top of the tb except the front and rear tabs (so
the cleaner case could hold on) but I did shorten them to about 3/8"
tall. Then I took the tb and used a standard bench top grinder to
smooth things out. Some people said this really wouldn't help much,
but I like that it just looks better now :) Cleaned everything up
with the wire wheel and hit the bores with the wire brush attachment
and my Dremel. Then I took the cleaner lid bolt, and cut narrowed
and smooth the bracket that holds it on the tb. And I did not grind
or cut the blades or bores, just took the ridges off. Ok, it looks
great, but does it perform? you ask...

HOT DAMN, I didn't think there would be this much difference! It's
not like bolting on a blower of course, but the throttle response is
significantly better at all RPM all speeds (I haven't check it out
about 80 yet :). It idles more smoothly now and the truck has a much
easier time cruising on the interstate. 0-60 times feel like they
have been lowered by a couple seconds it's that much of an
improvement. 30-70 times are even better than that :) In addition
to performace, the exhaust tone has slightly changed, souding
healthier than ever.

The entire project took 2 hours, so cussing, and didn't even need a
beer:) Cost to me= $0. That may increase by $0.99 because the lid
bolt is now 3/8" shorter due to taking off part of its base, but I
could have missed that problem had I checked my bolt inventory prior
to starting :) Ill just run up to the hardware store and get a new
carrige bolt, or an S-bolt if I can find one.

Please remember that this is on a 93 V6 5speed with 190K. Only major
maint. I've needed is a new timing chain, and the only mods are an
electric fan, and a Dynomax Turbo catback exhaust. No k&N, just a
cheap Fram air filter in the stock lid assembly and now tube
connecting it to the fender.

I am now convince to make a cold air intake setup and a V8 tb (bigger
bores). This V6 realy wakes up to these minor mods, and I highly
recommend this project to anyone. I'll let yall know about the
affect on mpg next week.

Drive safe; there's people out there who don't have Dakotas.

Mike S.
93 Dak V6 5-speed
16" Permacool electric fan
Dynomax catback exhaust
Modified throttle body
and the list grows :)...

--
Is your email secure? http://www.pop3now.com
(c) 1998-2001 secureFront Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.