Re: PoBoy Plan

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 14:40:13 EST

> I'm planning on making a poboy intake for my Dak. I have seen pictures
> ot them for Gen III Daks and I'm looking for a setup for the Gen II.
> Kyle, I remember you made one. Do you (or anyone) have any pictures or
> dimmentions.
> My next question is, does anyone have a Gen III airhat they are willing
> to part with? I'm not sure if later GenII airhats will work. My 92 had
> the old style round air filter and I've been running a 10" open element
> Edelbrock with a 2.5" K&N filter. TIA

Sorry, I dont have any pics as of right now. Here is the run down on what I
did. Located a GenIII air hat and put a cap on the 'fitting' where I assume
a hose gets connected to for a valve cover breather. I removed my stock
valve cover breather and bought a K&N Breather Filter(PN#62-1520; All
Metal), this is the shielded version, but still is a 360degree open element
type. It fit perfect and popped right into place. I then bought 2 'street'
elbows(45degree, like $1.50 each) and had some 3" ID PVC pipe in the
basement. The 3" ID PVC pipe has an OD of close to 3.5". I then purchased a
K&N #RE-0920 Cone Filter(900+ CFM), which is the 3.5" version and ran me
$36.95 through Summit Racing. This filter's specs are:
-Inside Diameter: 3.5"
-Top Diameter: 4 5/8"
-Base Diameter: 6"
-Length: 9"
I cut the PVC pipe and first test fitted everything together, before
'glueing' the elbows and fittings together. I sanded the shine off of the
pipe and spray painted it flat black. I slipped the K&N cone filter up onto
the pipe and tightened the clamp down. I bought a 3" ID rubber
connector(about 3-4" long) to connect the PVC pipe to the air hat, and
secured it with the 2 hose clamps which came with rubber connector. I bent
up some flat stock aluminum to be a support for the cold air intake and
mounted it on the fender well. All the above, minus the filter, can be found
at Home Depot or any other home improvement store.

If you want to skip fabbing up your own intake tube, you can buy everything
from Tony at QuickD, even the GenIII air hat. I have a picture of Dave
Killian's 96 Dakota with the Ram Intake Kit from QuickD and it really fits
great in the engine bay. Otherwise, find yourself a GenIII air hat(DML or
junk yards), and just buy a metal intake tube from either www.quickd.com or
www.intenseperformance.com.
I contacted John at IP and here is what he said the specs are for the IP
metal tube: "My tubes are steel with "Cermachrome" brand ceramic coating on
the outside only.(polished after coated) The tube is a 70 degree bend with
1.5" and a 6.5" legs (as measured from the start of the bend (straight
part)."
This was very informative, and I appreciate John providing me with this
info. I like the part about his tubes being ceramic coated. His tubes cost
$69 I think. I dont have any specs from Tony on his intake tube, sorry. Your
can either buy the cone filter yourself or just buy it when you are buying
the metal intake tube. These metal intake tubes(from both companies) have an
OD of 3", so be sure to get the right K&N cone if you buy the filter
seperately. There are a few 3" K&N cone filters to choose from also:
-RU-3130; $31.95
-RE-0930; $41.39
-RE-0910; $39.99
-RE-0810; $46.95

The RU-3130 specs are:
-Inside Diameter: 3"
-Top Diameter: 3 1/2"
-Base Diameter: 4 5/8"
-Length: 7"

The RE-0930 specs are:
-Inside Diameter: 3"
-Top Diameter: 4 5/8"
-Base Diameter: 6"
-Length: 6"

The RE-0910 specs are:
-Inside Diameter: 3"
-Top Diameter: 4 5/8"
-Base Diameter: 5"
-Length: 8"

The RE- 0810 specs are:
-Inside Diameter: 3"
-Top Diameter: 4 5/8"
-Base Diameter: 6"
-Length: 9"

Hope this helps. I have been very happy with my current setup. However, I
think I am actually going to get rid of my current setup, minus to GenIII
air hat and just buy a metal pipe and find my own cone filter.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6