Re: 4.7L Reliability/Long Term

From: Kevin L. Miller (kmrcdd@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 23:52:53 EST

I have 33,758 miles on my '00 4.7 . no problems so far. Oil pressure still
stays in the same spot it did from day 1..I thought the artice was very
informative. One paragraph I read seemed to differ with Henry Laviers. The
last line is the clincher....seems to tell me it should be very
reliable.....

"Pistons are cast aluminum, have moly coated skirts for break-in scuff
resistance, and weigh 366 grams. They are fitted at 0.0008-0.0020" skirt
clearance - rather snug but nothing unusual for a street engine. The usual
3-groove ring pack is used (.062/.062/.120") but in addition to the common
plasma-moly-filled top rings, the second ring is chrome. Oil rings are
chrome as well, with a stainless expander. Bucking the current trend, the
oil ring tension is rather high (12 lbs) allowing good oil control even in
high-mileage engines. In fact, the spec for the 95th percentile customer is
150,000 mile useful life. "