Re: Insurance and engine swaps

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 16:02:31 EST

ABeerCan@aol.com wrote in <a.8ab2785.27b5aaab@aol.com>:

>Ok, something just popped in my head and made me wonder about it. With
>all teh engine swapping going on and people going from little (hehehehe)
>V-6's to the manly man V-8 (hehehehe), how would htis affect insurance
>coverage? If you insure the truck as a Dodge Dakota V-6 and swap in a
>V-8 and don't tell your insurance company, would that be considered
>fraud? I mean, let's say you total the truck, could they deny you money
>becuase the truck was altered in a radical fashion and they were not
>informed about it? I have heard if you do a swap like what I and many
>others have done, that you are to tell the insurance company and they
>will re-evaluate your policy and adjust the payments as needed. TIA

  I don't think its considered fraud, but don't expect them to recognize that
its worth any more than a bone stock V6. I believe if you make improvements
that you wish to have covered, you have to contact the insurance company to
have your policy altered. (For obseen premiums, I'm sure.) :-P

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'