Re: NASCAR

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 16:13:07 EST

|I like CART and F1 too, but for close
| competition from flag to flag , NASCAR has them both beat. There are
| more lead changes in one NASCAR race than in the entire F1 season.

Personally, for thrill of competition and exciting stuff I would offer:

Motorola Cup road racing
European Sedan (Stock Car) racing
NHRA Super Stock Eliminator
World Pro Rally

Those are my favorite spectator racing series.

SCCA ProSolo Challenge heats are a thrill to watch too.

I think the common link among my favorite five is that nobody outside the
hardcore know what the hell I'm talking about. Too bad. CART, IRL, NASCAR
bore me. Exception being Winston Cup Road races. Typically the CART and
F1 stuff is too narrow for passing. I tend to get more entertainment from
watching qualifying and the start, then go work on the car till the finish.

SuperStock eliminator is the single most exciting drag racing in existance.
1968 Hemi Cuda's launching wheels up and running high 8's chasing down a
5.2 liter late model Dakota! What could be better! Typical winning margin
is inperceptable at speed. Especially with one car passing the other right
at the line. When's the last time anybody every telecast that? The finals
at the US Nationals are about your only hope. You're more likely to see
Super Trash or Super Cramp run with their throttle stops and electronics on
an IHRA telecast, oh joy, now people really will have a reason to be bored
by sportsman racing.

The guys making TV decisions must be the same guys that okay'd Ridley
Scott's juvenile rewrite of the second half of Thomas Harris' Hannibal.
What a third rate mockery that was. Thank God for Speedvision, at least I
get a little taste of the sports car stuff and rally. I won't hold my
breathe for Super Stock or ProSolo.

-STE