Re: 97-99 Mopar PCM for 318

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 16:24:18 EST

At 01:03 PM 2/11/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey man, whats up with trying to top my Dyno #s man?! heheheh
>Thats damn impressive TQ for no blower or juice...
>I'm only making 349.0RWTQ (corrected) and thats with 9# of boost
>Does gear ratio make a difference? (I have the 3.55's)
>My HP is alot different tho... 296.8... maybe the blower sucks up all the TQ
>is makes...I just wanted to say your dyno #'s are damn impressive man...
>Tim Berry

I was surprised myself when I saw it. It's down really low in the rpm band
(below 2000) so I get a really good jump off the line. When I had the dyno,
I was still running 3.55 gears and on 28" tires.

Where gear ratio makes the difference is that it can 'lengthen' the track
in relation to rpms, that is, if the engine has the torque and hp to do it.

When I put in the MPI, I was going through the traps at 4500 rpm on
26" drag radials and 3.55 gears. I felt that there was still more at the traps
so I had it dynoed again and, sure enough, my peak hp was at 5000 rpm
with only a 6 hp dropoff at 5500 rpm ... had more power but no track left.
I had the 3.92 gears put in and am now going through the traps at
the 5000 rpm mark.

Now, all I have to do is solve the manual upshift problems at WOT so I can
shift at 5500 rpms instead of about 4800 for the 1-2 shift and about 5000
at the 2-3 shift ... even at these lower shift points, I often have to lift
a bit
on the pedal to get the upshift. My strengthened valvetrain lets me run
safely at 6000 rpm. I think that the problem is either the
governor pressure sensor or the governor pressure solenoid or both.
I'm replacing both and will see if the problem is fixed on opening day at
the track.
I'm pretty sure that I can improve my PB ET if I could shift higher.

BTW, I can remember when we were both running NA at around 15.4s so I'm
glad to see how great your times are with the blower.

Bob