'00 & '01 v6 acceleration problems (long)

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 17:16:06 EST

    This was posted on another forum and was asked to pass it along to the
DML. Garth is asking owners of '00 and '01 v6's to do a quick test to see if
they can duplicate what he is experiencing. The test is:

"First thing the engine needs to be cold. On a flat road with few bumps,
start to accelerate slowly, crossing over the 2400 rpm area. The speed
should hesitate for a brief second and then continue to accelerate again. It
would almost seem as if you had a miss or bad plug."

    I tried this test with my '99, but could not duplicate the problem. I
don't know if it's because of different years or because of my upgraded
ignition.

Garth's problem:

"I have a problem with the engine stumbling at 2400 rpm and it some times
backfiring.There are no problem codes, the dealer says they can find nothing
wrong, but the problem is still there. Can anyone tell me what might be
wrong"

Then he goes on to say:

"It happens under gradual acceleration, and always does the same thing. It
is as though the fuel or ignition is shut off for half a second and then
turned back on when it gains more rpm. I had a similar problem when I first
got my Eagle Talon and when the spark plugs were changed they put the ones
with the wrong gap in and it caused a flat spot in the power curve."

and then:

"Got the truck back from the second dealer that I have taken it too. They
spent most of the day trying to solve the hesitation problem at 2400 rpm on
gradual acceleration. NO LUCK. They even took one of the 2001 V6 5 Spd on
the lot for a drive, guess what .......... does the same dam thing. I would
like to hear from anyone that owns a V6 5 Speed to see if they can get there
truck to do the same thing. If you can take it to the dealer and complain
and get them to report it to Chrysler. The more they hear about this problem
the sooner it can be fixed."

Thank you,
Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport