Re: Re: << VIRUS NOTICE >> - THIS IS A HOAX!

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 09:36:15 EST

Oftentimes now, the "virus" is the hoax itself (like Goodtimes) - tricking
people into passing them around. I check out anything like this before I even
think about passing it on. Having McAfee's name in there was a red flag - I
ran to their site and didn't find anything about it. If it were real, they
definitely would have had something. Confirmed on their hoax listing.

The activity described by the false warning is also very difficult to swallow.
It can be done with an executable, but from just opening an email? I'm not so
sure. The lack of a specific email client being mentioned also is a tell-tale
sign - most of these things require a specific client to activate.