Re: UPDATE - Timing Chain - and Crank Bolt

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 09:06:43 EST

> Ok, here's the latest on my "do-it-yourself" tragedy. My best friend
> brought me a tap from work. Turns out the bolt is a 3/4"-16. Now this
> seems strange to me....why would the bolt have a metric head and a
standard
> thread??? I checked it myself, and sure enough that was it. I'm not
> totally sure that it is indeed a 32mm head, because the socket was a bit
> loose. Anyway, we ran the tap in. Looks like the first couple threads
were
> the problem. All seemed to have cleaned up great. Now, my new bolt
should
> be in today at the dealership. So the old Dodge may be up and running
again
> before the weeks out. Kyle...took you 15 hours to change the water
> pump.....gonna take me a week to change the timing chain!

Aaron,
Well hopefully things will work out for you, as they eventually did for me.
True, it may have took you alot longer than a shop would have taken, but #1
you did it yourself and learned alot I am sure and #2 you saved a lot of
money. Saving the money to myself was the important factor, plus whenever I
have to do it again, I learned about things I didnt know about before, so
maybe next time it will only take 14 hours and not 15 to do the water pump,
HAHA. Did you install the 120amp alternator during this process? If so was
if a 100% direct bolt on update? The charging system is my next step,
definately. I am going to get either a 90amp or 120amp alternator to replace
the 75amp stock one, and am currently pricing batteries, as I am not sure if
I want to spend $125 for an Optima or just get the Champion 4x4 battery(the
one I currently have) at Sam's for $45. They are both rated the same, so
once again I may just save $75 or so and get the Champion. Oh well......Good
luck Aaron,
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6