Re: Interesting Earnhardt accident report

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 16:24:40 EST

> Are full-face helmets mandatory, with a grandfather clause like when
helmets
> were mandated in the NHL (those who were in the NHL before the rule kicked
in
> were not required to wear them)? Seems to me that without a HANS device,
> drivers would want that frontal protection in the event they were thrown
> forward.

One quote I heard from a NASCAR driver is that they have searched the
rulebook and can't find any rule requiring a helmet at all at the Winston
Cup level.

Dale wasn't the only open face, there are a few all throughout the stock car
ranks. I would think you'd want fullface even if you didn't think you could
reach the steering wheel. What about flying debris?

STE