RE: RE: Re: Re: 4.7 to 3.7 = more problems???

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 14:04:44 EST

Will,

You know, I don't want to tell you how to take care of your truck but you
have some serious issues. Now, this is just opinion mind you, but it seems
to me that either that truck's going to drive you bonkers or you're going to
drive your truck bonkers. In either case, this is not a good sign. I don't
know how to allay some of these fears you have or what caused you to have
them to begin with. I'm hoping that the list, for the most part, will agree
with me and hopefully, by an overwhelming majority, convince you to care for
your Dak in such a way that it WILL last you a long time but not drive you
or your Dak into nervous breakdowns.

In the RPM ranges which you drive your Dak, do you realize how much sludge
you could possibly build up in your engine. This will definitely degrade
performance, especially noticeable in the low RPM ranges. As for 210º,
that's part of the normal operating range on your Dak. You're making
yourself suffer needlessly. If it's 112º outside and you're in stop-and-go
traffic I wouldn't be surprised if your coolant temperature doesn't go to
220º, still acceptable! You'd probably be having convulsions if you knew
the internal combustion temperatures while your truck is running. Also, if
you're going to continue driving it like this, please make sure you use
synthetic oil in your motor. Dyno oil doesn't stand a chance under your
extreme driving conditions.

I can't help you on the valve covers unless your cleaner(s) have something
in them that causes a reaction to the metal they're made of.

I don't know where in Texas you are, but if you're close to Austin, why
don't you bring it to Bernd and have him give it a good run down the highway
and clean that bugger out. Then, have him teach you (if you don't already
know) how to clean the TB, especially the IAC. That may help your idle
problem, if you really have one.

As far as external body care, I can't find any fault with that. You do a
great job there! If you could hone your engine maintenance abilities to
match your external body abilities you'd be home free. Again, Will, this is
an attempt at constructive criticism. We all want you to be happy with your
Dak.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD