RE: Headers & PCM's for 5.9L 4x4

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 20:32:56 EST

        I'd go with Positive Perf. headers* for your 5.9L, I
run them on my 5.9L (RT) and they open up the mid-high RPM
range. To keep from hurting low end grunt (not a real problem
with a 5.9L) don't go crazy with your CAT back exhaust, instead
do either a clean 3" cat back, or a 3" from the cat-3" in on
the muffler, and then 2-2.5" out for duals (if you want duals).
Good muffler choices are-- Flowmaster 40/50 series (loud), Spintech
(a little less loud), Superturbo (quiet in the truck)- ask around.
On my stock 250 HP RT, I ran 204 rwhp on the dyno. With headers, Gen II
air intake and Crower 1.7s rocker arms my wrhp went up 26 hp, and my torque
40 ft. lbs. Cat back exhaust added another 7 hp, and 29 ft. lbs. of torque.
(237 hp & 337 ft lbs.) I've since added a billet throttle body, PCM
and MSD... each seemed to add more and more. Dyno numbers soon!

> 2. I called Mopar and was told they will NEVER make a
> PCM for a 2000 4x4 5.9L engine. So I guess my only
> choice is to go with a Jet Stage II chip or Hypertech.
> Has anyone on the list tried either one of these
> chips on a 5.9L engine -- with any meaningful
> performance gains or serious problems?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.

Realistically, for a 4x4 I'd stay away from the PCM. Sure it gets rid
of the speed limiter (not a real concern I hope with a 4x4), and it gains
a few dozen ponies (in the UPPER rpm range)... But you'll have to run
premium,
and can't tow with the PCM due to the heavily advanced timing. If you had a
4x2,
and were a street racer, then the PCM would be a good choice, but as a 4x4
I'd
go with the standard mods and not worry about it. The jet/hybertech are a
waste,
and you'd be better off with $200+ in your pocket for something else.

Sam '00 RT & '99 4x4(5.2)