cold 4.7 noise

From: Jason Clifford (jcliff42@uswest.net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 19:56:52 EST

Hey everyone,
When its COLD, say below zero, when I first start my truck
there is a brief noise that lasts a couple of seconds. It
sounds like a kind of honk, but its not the horn. It lasts
until the oil pressure rises close to normal. The sound
reminds me of a bilge pump when it runs out of water to
pump. So I just checked all the fluids, and had plenty of
everything but power steering fluid. It was a little below
the ADD mark. What the heck makes this noise?
Is it the power steering pump because of the below normal
fluid level? Anyone?

Jason Clifford
'00 4x4 CC 4.7 auto